Thursday, February 09, 2006

Site: Correction Stuff

After posting the CoCo Collection for February, I received an email from CoCoist Frank Swygert, of the American independent Magazine, regarding the 26-3029 disk controller and why it's special. You'll recognize Frank from his numerous and informative contributions to the maltedmedia list. And if you dig AMC vehicles, you really need to check out his web site at http://farna.home.att.net/AIM.html . Many thanks, Frank!

“Ah, but there IS something special! This is the only controller that can be modified to work with high density (1.2MB, and I think 1.44MB) disk drives. This feature is only useful for OS-9 users and requires some modifications. You're probably aware that the controller chip used in the 26-3029 requires 12V to operate, so it has to either be hacked for an outside power source or used with a Multi-Pak.”

Frank didn't have the conversion article handy, but I'll certainly keep an eye open for it as I go through my CoCo mags and post the technique if I stumble across it.

The article has been updated to reflect this information. As I post this, by the way, there a 26-3029, with ribbon cable, up for grabs on eBay in the TRS-80 listing. Go get 'em! ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/TANDY-RADIO-SHACK-TRS-80-COLOR-COMPUTER-CONTROLLER_W0QQitemZ8762444812QQcategoryZ74947QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Couple of these references I still have to hunt down and correct, but just for the record...

The CoCo 1 I use, with the Micronix keyboard, is a 26-3003B, not a 3004. I also said somewhere it was an F-Board, but I really have no clue since I was thinking of a completely different CoCo. Ah, so many CoCos, so little brain cells. I don't know why anyone would care, but there ya go... :) That'll teach me to look at the bottom every once and awhile.

No comments: